[NBLUG/talk] JTAG Anyone?

Robert P. Thille list-nblug-talk at rangat.org
Fri Feb 16 12:43:39 PST 2007

Bob Blick wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Most JTAG interfaces are standard. Yours is. You can get cheap ones at
> SparkFun Electronics that connect to the printer port:
> http://www.sparkfun.com

Thanks for the link, I looked around there a bit...

> Look at ARM or MSP dev tools. Either of those will work, ignore the
> extra non-JTAG-specific pins, they are used for debugging and are
> specifif to those processors. You'll spend about $20.

Right, I'd known about all the Wiggler knockoffs from searching before.
  I've dealt with parallel port programmers for PIC Micro work and after
going to USB for that I'd never go back :-)  Part of it was the fact
that it involved pulling my computer out of the closet and putting it on
my already crowded workbench and part that the PCI parallel port card I
was using would crash Windows after the SP2 update :-(  Going with USB
will help me 'future proof' the purchase, neither of my current PCs have
on motherboard parallel ports, and I can't imagine any new one I buy
having one.  The difference from $20 to $35 isn't a big deal for me, but
I would like to get the shipping down to something reasonable, like
$10-$12 (buy three & split it).

> The USB JTAG interfaces usually just add a USB-to-printer-port chip, so
> if you have a printer port already it's actually better.
But from what I've seen all the parallel-port based programmers are
really slow, whereas the USB ones are supposed to be much faster.  Not
sure why that is though, unless it's the lack of DMA to the parallel
port on most PCs.

Thanks for your input!

Robert

--
Robert Thille                7575 Meadowlark Dr.; Sebastopol, CA 95472
Home: 707.824.9753    Office/VOIP: 707.780.1560     Cell: 707.217.7544