[NBLUG/talk] Printer gone wild

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Sat Jan 27 14:40:48 PST 2007

Mark Osborne wrote:

>Hi folks,
>Running a Dell P4 with Ubuntu Edgy.
>HP 5610 worked fine until ink ran out on black cartridge. After
>replacing, pages starts in black, and goes through entire rainbow until
>it becomes unreadable by about the second page.
>
>If I plug in the USB cable to my work laptop (win XP) the printer works
>fine.....
>
>HP is no help at all.
>
>Any ideas?

Mark:

I had a user at work who had a problem where everything they printed
from an HP all-in-one (the psc1350, I think) came out green, but if they
used the scanner as a copier, it came out black.  It turns out that
there's a setting in the printer configs that tells the printer to use
the color cartridge, rather than the black (grayscale) one.  Somehow his
desktop was set to use the color cartridge.  We couldn't figure out why
that would have been set that way, but maybe it switches over when the
black runs out?  Or maybe it's haunted.

I can't recall whether he had to change it in the basic printer configs
or in OpenOffice, or both (OO is funny that way).  Obviously, I'd check
the system-wide settings first, but check a general app like firefox and
then an OpenOffice doc if that's what you use.

Obviously, this isn't a perfect answer, but perhaps a clue...  Good luck!

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at sonic.net