[NBLUG/talk] Considerations for a new motherboard?

Jippen cheetahmorph at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 16:36:29 PST 2007

Really long slot, usually orange or purple or something? Prolly PCI-E.
My EGS board supports PCI-E, and I use it cheerfully.
Also, many mobos can support single or multi-core chips. Do your
reading before you buy. You might have more options then you expect.

On 1/27/07, Lincoln Peters <sampln at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Friday 26 January 2007 16:21, Jippen wrote:
> > 64-bit is nice, because you can just install a 32bit os on it, and
> > upgrade when it is better supported. Only real hitch with a 64 bit
> > system so far is that heartbeat doesn't run unless its in a 32bit
> > chroot
>
> I don't use heartbeat, so that's not an issue.
>

> > If you don't care about over/under clocking, try an EGS motherboard.
> > My current one supports 4 IDE drives and 4 sata, with RAID 0/1/0+1/5
> > onboard. The onboard sound on them is pretty nice as well. And it has
> > onboard gigabit.
>
> Sounds good; I don't really care about overclocking.
>

> > PCI-Express and PCI-X are the same thing.
>
> OK.  So what's that really long variation on the PCI slot I occasionally see
> on high-end motherboards at LinuxWorld?  Is that some kind of a 64-bit PCI
> slot?
>
> > Your main concern will be
> > loosing the AGP card if you go that way. If you don't need the
> > graphics power, it may not be a big deal, but if you do, PCI-E is MUCH
> > faster.
>
> It sounds like if I could get a motherboard that's equipped like the EGS board
> you described earlier, *and* supported PCI-E, I would need to get a new video
> card, but all my other expansion cards would become unnecessary.
>
> (I'm not going to assume that I can keep my current CPU and RAM, although I
> wouldn't mind being able to do so.)
>

> > Performance Per Watt: Dual-cores are better then single-cores. AMD is
> > better then Intel. Other then that, google is your friend.
>
> I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks.
>

> --
> Lincoln Peters          <sampln at sbcglobal.net>
>
> Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.

Need a certified computer technicician?
Comptia A+, Network+
Cisco Certified Network Associate