[NBLUG/talk] Problems wiring Ethernet ports

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 14 20:33:15 PDT 2007

On Sunday 10 June 2007 17:27, droman at romansys.com wrote:
>   Sounds like defective ports/cables..if I were to guess.  Not all pins
> are used in 10/100 wiring, but pins 3&6 are.

As I look at it, it's most likely a problem with the ports.  I'm going to
replace them and see if it works then.

>   If you have any kind of continuity tester, you could see if you are
> getting continuity on this wire, otherwise(I'm assuming your talking
> about a patch cable) you can test by connecting a computer/laptop to the
> switch with the patch cable and if it doesn't work, it's likely the
> cable.

I don't have a continuity tester.  In fact, this is the first time I've tried
to make my own Ethernet cabling in the walls of a building (as opposed to
stringing cables along the outside of a wall).

--
Lincoln Peters		<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

We are sorry.  We cannot complete your call as dialed.  Please check
the number and dial again or ask your operator for assistance.

This is a recording.