[NBLUG/talk] How to configure Xorg for a 1080p display?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 17 16:18:27 PDT 2007

On Sunday 17 June 2007 14:47, matt wrote:
> It's more like can your graphics card (Integrated Intel...?) run at that
> resolution? If you're sure it can, in your xorg.conf, you would have:
>
> Section "Screen"
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth	24
> 		Modes	"1920x1080"
> 	EndSubSection
> EndSection

I have a section that looks almost exactly like that, except that it lists a
few other modes after "1920x1080" (they're the modes that were listed in the
auto-generated xorg.conf file).

I tried deleting every display section for a color depth other than 24 and
reduced the list of modes to just 1920x1080, and it fails with this error in
xorg.conf:

((I) I810(0): Not using driver mode "1920x1080" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) I810(0): Not using mode "1920x1080" (no mode of this name)

However, this time it generates an image at 1400x1050, without any sort of
clipping or scrolling, which the TV is able to display, but it generates this
message:

Unsupported Signal.
Adjust your PC output.

I revisited the manual for the TV, and it does specify a few other settings
that are required.  The horizontal frequency should be 67.5kHz and the
vertical frequency should be 60Hz.  I've manually specified both in xorg.conf
but it still gives the same result.

It also states that the TV (at least with respect to the VGA port) does not
support Sync on Green, Composite Sync, or interlaced signals.  I don't know
what Sync on Green or Composite Sync are, but I have to wonder if Xorg might
be producing an interlaced signal.  A quick read of the man page for
xorg.conf seems to indicate how to manually turn interlacing on, but not how
to turn it off (and I can't tell from the contents of Xorg.0.log if it's
turned on or off right now).

On a positive note, I *did* get it to produce a respectable, full-screen image
at 1360x768, but that's still much less than this set is capable of.

> And if it still kicks you back, use `915resolution` to trick your card into
> displaying the modes you want. (You can do an `apt-get install
> 915resolution` and read the doc on how to get it to work.)

When I installed 915resolution, I got the following message immediately after
setup:

Wrong chipset detected.  915resolution only works with Intel 800/900 series
graphic chipsets.

According to lspci, this is my video controller:

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel COrporation 82810E DC-133 CGC
[Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 03)

It sounds like the video controller might be too weak to use with a 1920x1080
display, but I'm not yet 100% sure (and as long as I'm not 100% sure, I'd
rather not spend money on a new video card!).

--
Lincoln Peters		<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Mother is the invention of necessity.