[NBLUG/talk] install fest

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 9 16:01:45 PST 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 11:04, Troy Arnold wrote:
> In the meantime, try k3b for your general-purpose cd/dvd
> authoring/copying/ripping.  To rip music CD's look into grip.

If you use KDE, another option for CD ripping is the "audiocd" KIOslave.  On
most distros, I think you can just open Konqueror, type "audiocd:/dev/cdrom"
into the address bar, and it creates a virtual directory structure containing
the tracks in a variety of file formats (none of which are actually created
until you try to access one of them in some way).

In fact, an easy way to import CD's into Amarok is to open Amarok's "Files"
sidebar, navigate to "audiocd:/dev/cdrom", highlight whichever tracks you
want in the desired format, and the copy them into your collection.  (OK, so
it's not as seamless as iTunes, but it's still pretty cool.)

--
Lincoln Peters		<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Cahn's Axiom:
	When all else fails, read the instructions.