[NBLUG/talk] Intermittent USB failures getting worse; search for new motherboard becomes more urgent (long)

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 17 21:00:08 PDT 2007

On Friday 16 March 2007 08:57, Steve Johnson wrote:
> In my experience, one of the things that I noticed about DVI vs VGA,
> is that when you change resolutions, you do not get that pause and
> screen blanking as the system tries to figure out what you are doing.
> When I change resolutions, it is almost instant now, where with my VGA
> connected display I have that pause and blank screen for a second or
> 2.

I'm not sure that's a big deal (I don't change screen resolution very often).
And on my MacBook Pro, I have noticed that there IS a delay when switching
screen resolutions (although the delay is filled with a light blue screen
instead of a black screen)

> Nvidia's drivers for multi displays are great, and in my opinion a
> breeze to setup, where ATI can be troublesome and not quite work the
> way you expect them to.  I have an ATI setup at work with 2 LCD
> displays connected via DVI, and it took me a while to get them to work
> as one big desktop, and I stil can't get beryl/compiz to work on it,
> but if I drop to one display beryl/compiz runs fine..  At home setting
> this all up on my nvidia GeForce card (7600GT) was  as easy as pie.

I figure I'll need to replace my video card, since new motherboard
increasingly are shipping without AGP slots.  I'll keep this in mind, since I
might as well run both monitors off the same video card.

> I tend to stick with nvidia for my graphics cards, even though their
> drivers are not open source, they are still pretty darn good compared
> to the ATI stuff.

Would I have any difficulty using the nVidia drivers with a custom-built
kernel?

> I have heard good things about the Intel graphics, all though a bit
> slower, the drivers are opensource (I believe), and have great linux
> support, I have read that a lot of people are choosing the Intel
> graphics for this reason.

Is that an issue when watching video, or just when gaming?

--
Lincoln Peters		<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

What GOOD is a CARDBOARD suitcase ANYWAY?