[NBLUG/talk] Can't ssh to Ubuntu using PuTTY

Nat W. calvin166 at pseudoweb.net
Fri Mar 23 16:04:16 PDT 2007

First thing that would be a good idea is to run the following command on the
Linux box:

ps -ax | grep ssh

You should see something like this:

5513 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd

If you don't see anything, there is a high chance sshd isn't running.

If it isn't fist just try running

sudo apt-get install ssh

this will install the client and server. The ssh config files are in
/etc/ssh/

The only other thing I can think of other than that is that you are using a
firewall that is blocking port 22.

/Nat