[NBLUG/talk] MySQL Migration..

Susan Baur susan at cdl.edu
Thu May 31 16:12:04 PDT 2007

Hi Steve,

You should be able to use mysqldump to get the data out of your 3.x
db and import it into 5.x. The biggest issue I had when doing a
similar upgrade to 4.1 was that MySQL changed their password hashing
algorithm between those two versions.

from http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/upgrading-from-4-0.html

After upgrading, update the grant tables to obtain the new longer
Password column that is needed for more secure handling of passwords.
The procedure uses mysql_fix_privilege_tables and is described in
Section 5.5.4, “mysql_fix_privilege_tables — Upgrade MySQL System
Tables”[http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/mysql-fix-privilege-
tables.html]. If you do not do this, MySQL does not use the new more
secure protocol to authenticate. Implications of the password-
handling change for applications are given later in this section.

If for some reason (e.g. your webapp doesn't know any better) you
need to continue using the old style passwords with your upgraded
database, there's also a command line option you can set (--old-
passwords) that will force it to the older passwords. Also see http://
dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/password-hashing.html for more info
on this.

HTH,
--Susan