[NBLUG/talk] OLPC XO giving program - potential sponsorship?

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Nov 22 12:01:01 PST 2007

Molly Fisher wrote:
> My daughters, ages 5 and 2, are getting XOs--hopefully by Christmas?--
> and we'd love to get together with other children who are using these.
> Doesn't make much sense to have the mesh networking without a network
> of kids.

The networking works in two modes.

1) The mesh is between nodes that can "see" each other. This is a
peer-to-peer like setup.
2) The second mode is via a collaboration server using XMPP/Jabber. Once
on the Internet, the Jabber presence kicks in.

Putting 1 and 2 together, as long as one of the machines is on the
Internet, the others will route packages over the mesh to the one that
routes out to the Internet.

Of course, if you don't have a 'net connection, you can still mesh with
the others within radio distance and play er...collaborate!

BTW, it looks like the G1 G1 has been extended to Dec 31.
http://www.olpcnews.com/sales_talk/g1g1/exciting_updates_abo_1.html

cheers,
Sameer

Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.