[NBLUG/talk] Sharing my Ubuntu HP printer on my home office network

Steve Bursch sbursch at sonic.net
Tue Oct 2 18:18:25 PDT 2007

I just installed my new HP Deskjet D1341 printer on my Ubuntu machine.  It works fine.   Prints great.

Now I want to share the printer with other Windows machines located on the same LAN.  The entire network is a Windows workgroup (not a domain) and the name of the workgroup is WORKGROUP.  In the Ubuntu printers dialog, I indicated I wanted to share the printer.  In the SAMBA configuration file, smb.conf, I have the following lines:

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    browseable = yes
    printable = yes
    public = yes
    writeable = yes
    create mode = 0700
    path = /tmp

On my Windows XP Pro machines, in the Add a Printer dialog, I can see the name of the Ubuntu machine, but the printer is not listed.  When I manually attempt to fill in the name of the printer as it is known on the Ubuntu machine, and after entering a userid and password, an error dialog box appears stating that Windows cannot connect to the printer.

I figure I've got some setting wrong in SAMBA somewhere, but I'm unable to figure it out.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks....SteveB