[NBLUG/talk] Can't boot from Hard Drive

Scrappy Laptop scrappylaptop at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 13:43:48 PDT 2007

Since you can now boot from the HDD (even if the OS boot process fails, it does start, right?) and the CD drive is (assumed) usable, worse case scenario you can use the Dell F12 boot menu to boot from the CD and reinstall to the HDD after reformatting, etc.

With enough mucking around it should be possible to clear out any bad drive id entries, but it it worth the trouble or can you quickly reinstall?

Dave Sisley <dsisley at sonic.net> wrote: Eric, et al:

I've disconnected the CD drive from the cable (and therefore the
motherboard).  I've moved that cable to the primary IDE slot.  The drive
is set jumper-wise to 'single or master'.  It didn't boot, so I went
into the bios and the drive is in fact listed as the Primary Master.  I
finally can see the hard drive as an option in choosing boot-device
order.  It now tries to boot from the hard drive.  Hooray!

The hard drive seems to be completely bollocksed (sp?) however.  Boo!

If I try and boot to single user mode, I get a message re: filesystem
check failure.  So I run fsck -y /dev/mapper/VolGroupWhatever (I copied
it from df).

It says 'clean'. I boot.  Screen goes blank shortly after the GUI part
of the boot process starts (this is FC4).  I managed to 'show details'
during this part and saw very briefly an error message referring to
/dev/hdc1.  Could that be the phantom CD drive?  I also quickly see the
word 'superblock'.

they think it's still there?  Is this computer haunted?  Am I ever going
to get any work done? >

I've just tried reconnecting the CD drive with another cable, to the
secondary IDE slot.

Machine still no boot.  Hulk angry!  Drive all the way to Best Buy. GRRR!

http://mail.yahoo.com