[NBLUG/talk] LiveCD PPC (was Hello)

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 14 17:24:44 PDT 2007

On Sep 14, 2007, at 4:56 PM, Troy Arnold wrote:

> Related to all this apple talk (no pun) what are your opinions of a
> good
> liveCD for PowerPC ?
>
> The problem:
>
> My friend's powerbook is *really* sensitive to even slightly scratched
> optical discs.  It's interesting that it remains a problem even after
> replacing the optical drive.  I'd like to run a LiveCD to see if it
> might
> perhaps be an OS issue.  If I load kaffeine or mplayer or something
> into
> RAM, I'm hoping to be able to remove the liveCD and try a few of these
> 'unreadable' discs.

I have a G3 iMac that refused to boot from a home-burned Debian net-
install CD, but had no difficulty booting from a set of Knoppix/PPC
CD's I picked up at a general meeting a while ago.

The current version of Ubuntu (7.04) doesn't appear to be available
for PowerPC, but the previous version (6.10) is.

--
Lincoln Peters  <sampln at sbcglobal.net>

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of
every organism to live beyond its income.
                 -- Samuel Butler