[NBLUG/talk] NorCal-HUG announcement

scott mc scottmc2 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 07:16:15 PDT 2007

Hey All,
This is Scott McCreary from Rohnert Park, I'm the guy who runs
BeDrivers.com.  During the Haiku gathering at the Linux Picn*x event
last August, a few of us who live in and around the San Francisco Bay
Area talked about presenting Haiku at user group meetings in the area.
In the following weeks we continued these discussions, and today we
are happy to announce the creation of the Northern California Haiku
User Group, or NORCAL-HUG for short.

Our mission is simple: we want to build and grow a Haiku community in
Northern California, and to that end we will be planning activities
such as (but not necessarily limited to):

* HUG meetings (initially every 3 months)

* Online community building (NORCAL-HUG website and mailing list)

* Represent Haiku at local conferences, user group meetings and other
events

* Organize install fests and/or Haiku workshops

* Network with other local/regional computer user groups

* Build relationships with local/regional high schools and universities

At this point we are the following three members:

- Jorge G. Mare
- Scott McCreary
- Urias McCullough

But we want more people to be part of NORCAL-HUG. So we are inviting
all individuals living in Northern California with an interest in the
Haiku Operating System and/or who would like to shape up NORCAL-HUG to
join us. For now just subscribe to the norcal-hug at freelists.org
mailing list shown below, and send a message introducing yourself. We
are in the process of setting up a website, and once this is up and
running, you will be able to register as a HUG member.

Viva Haiku!

The NORCAL-HUG founding members

*** NORCAL-HUG Mailing list ***
http://www.freelists.org/list/norcal-hug

*** About Haiku ***
Haiku is an open-source operating system currently in development
designed from the ground up for desktop computing. Inspired by the
BeOS, Haiku aims to provide users of all levels with a personal
computing experience that is simple yet powerful, and free of any
unnecessary complexities. For more information about Haiku, check out
www.haiku-os.org.