[NBLUG/talk] Strange cron message

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Sun Apr 20 10:02:37 PDT 2008

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008, Ed Rogers wrote:

> I'm a client on a Debian Woody machine running UML. Once in a while I get
> the following email. In the past I've just rebooted and it stops for a
> period of months. But this time I'm curious. I haven't rebooted, and have
> received the message several times, once daily. There are always 4
> processes, and they have different identification numbers on each new
> message. Have you seen this one before?

nice to speak to a client, haven't had the pleasure before...

i haven't seen the issue you report, but from the symptoms i think you're
filling up the /tmp filesystem and then logrotate can't put its temp files
there and thus can't clean them up when it's finished.    rebooting the
system clears out the /tmp directory and you're free to go for a few
months.

-ron

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign