[NBLUG/talk] Printing PDF files - slow...

Ken McGlothlen mcglk at artlogix.net
Mon Apr 21 18:12:04 PDT 2008

No, you definitely shouldn't be sending attachments to the list.  :)

So, I've taken a look at the files, and again, there's nothing
outstanding about either of them.  (Of course, I'm not talking about
the design or writing in this case, so let's not take offense
here.  :)  )

So again, I'm thinking it may have something to do with your print
driver.

   Do you have the right PPD file?  If not, you can get it at:
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/PPD/HP/
HP_LaserJet_1320_Series.ppd
   It will need to be chmod a+r, by the way.
   It will have to be installed somewhere under
    /usr/share/cups/model/

   If you had to install it:

    1)  Restart the CUPS daemon, which will probably be one of the
           following commands:
        # killall -HUP cupsd
        # /etc/init.d/cups restart

    2)  Walk through the Add Printer wizard in the CUPS web interface at
        http://localhost:631/admin
        (Or, if you're using KDE, you can use the Print Manager's Add
Printer
         wizard).

If you already have a PPD file for the HP LaserJet 1320, you may want
to download the file anyway and use cmp to see if they're different.
If they are, try installing the new one (preserving the old one, of
course, just in case the new PPD makes things even worse), bounce the
CUPS daemon, set up a new printer, and try it out.

If you want a somewhat smaller PostScript file, I can generate one
(my attempt to do so came up with only a 7MB PS file rather than a 30
+MB monster).  Let me know.

---Ken

-----
[Yes, I'm looking for work.  If you're looking for a Perl programmer or
Linux/Unix system administrator, drop me a line at
mcglk at artlogix.net.  ---K]