[NBLUG/talk] ndis wireless configuration

steven smith sjs at sonic.net
Wed Apr 30 21:14:13 PDT 2008

Hi All

I'm trying to get wireless going on a Gateway MX6447 laptop.
 This was working at one point but stopped after reboot.  I
think it stopped because nm-applet was "nm-applet
--sm-disable" in the
system->preferences-sessions gui.  I fixed this to be just
"nm-applet" and rebooted.  The network manager comes up in
the applet window and there is a "wireless networks" item
but no ESID's show up in the window now.  Previously I had
it set up with WEP for my wireless router and there should
be about 8 other wireless connections within range.

iwconfig says ESSID:off/any and Access Point: Not-Associated

ps -Aelf shows that nm-applet is running ok.

ndiswrapper -l says
   device (14e4:4311) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)

the system->administration->Windows Wireless Drivers
interface says
  bcmwl5
     Hardware present: Yes

I did a grep of /var/log/messages for ndis and found
ndiswrapper: driver version 1.45 loaded (smp=yes)
ndiswrapper: driver bcmw15 (Broadcom,10/12/2006) loaded
usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper: changing interface name from 'wlan0' to 'eth1'

I'm not sure where to go from here.  To me everything looks
ok, but NetworkManager doesn't show any wireless networks I
can associate with.

I'm stuck.  Any suggestions out there ??

Thanks
Steve S.