[NBLUG/talk] More questions about RAID

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Sat Jan 5 11:57:06 PST 2008

As I remember you partition the one drive and then partition the other
drive to match. Then you link the individual partitions to create md0,
md1, etc. At that point the raid will start building the mirror on the
other drive. I don't remember if you have to format the other partitions
or not, but I don't think it would hurt. File systems should be the same
type on both drives. It's sorta pointless to raid the swap, so I usually
make two swap partitions (non raided) one on each drive.

After a meeting a couple weeks ago I would recommend NOT having matched
drives. The thing is matched drives tend to die about the same time. It
would be a better approach to get two similar drives (perhaps different
manufactures) of the same size.

Another thing is testing the setup. I did a test and found that I could
not boot off driveB when driveA was missing but the other way worked
fine. I had to do some work with lilo to make it boot ether way. This is
not the biggest issue, but if you want real time redundancy it is an issue.

There is no difference between a raided partition and a non raided
partition. You can take down the raid and use ether one of the drives
normally, bring them up on another system, etc.

That's the problem with these multi drive USB drives. They use their own
raid (non redundant) system. If one drive fails all the data is useless.
They are twice as likely to fail.