[NBLUG/talk] Sound distortion while scrolling/moving windows in X

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Fri Jan 11 06:45:45 PST 2008

Dave Sisley wrote:
> Here's a weird one.  If I scroll in a window while listening to music,
> the sound becomes distorted until I stop scrolling.  It also happens if
> I'm moving a window around on the screen.  The system monitor & top
> shows the CPU jumps up when I'm fooling with the windows.  It's usually
> X that's at the top of top, but if I'm scrolling in Firefox, both X and
> FF use up the CPU.
>
> I'm currently running Fedora 8, with Gnome on the desktop.  I tried
> logging into X with xfce, but it happens there too.  I'm using xmms when
> this happens.  I've tried fiddling with various xmms and sound card
> settings, but nothing seems to help.
>
> It's annoying.  Thanks for any ideas.
>
> -dave.

Okay, well, this morning the problem just isn't there.  Maybe I finally
twiddled the right doohickey-thing.

I was trying different settings last night, and none of them seemed to
make any difference with the sound/X problem.  Now the problem is gone.

The Linux gods are capricious.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley