[NBLUG/talk] Can't connect to the Internet

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 12:45:12 PST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 3:36 PM, Steve Johnson <srj at adnd.com> wrote:

> On 1/31/08, Sean <seanvanco at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ah you meant the router ;)
> >
> > Is it possible to assign additional or static DNS servers, but still
> > use DHCP for the router's IP address, with Linksys routers? I don't
> > have access to one at the moment, but it wouldn't surprise me.
>
> Yes you can do that.
>
> He should get rid of the sonic.net DNS entry, they do not allow
> recursive lookups for non sonic.net customer (I believe..) and this
> can cause it to appear to not be on the internet.

Or put it on the bottom in case it might be needed.  Here's what I have for
resolv.conf.  I'm connected to Comcast through a Linksys too, only in
Michigan.  I'd use the DNS servers in California if I were there, this is
only for reference.

search hsd1.mi.comcast.net.
nameserver 68.87.77.130
nameserver 68.87.72.130

I'd definitely be leery of 192.168 DNS server entries, they sound like a
private network.
--
Jack Smith

English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.