[NBLUG/talk] Can't connect to the Internet

Ken McGlothlen mcglk at artlogix.net
Thu Jan 31 15:09:25 PST 2008

| From: Roger House <rhouse at sonic.net>
|
| [...] However, all is not yet ideal.  Although I seem to have full access to
| the Internet, I am now not able to VPN to the remote machine.  When I run
| vpnc-connect as I always have in the past, I now get this error:
|
|     /etc/vpnc/vpnc-script:  1:  Cannot open /var/run/vpnc/resolv.conf-backup
|         No such file
|
| Despite this message, I am told that VPNC started in the background.  When
| I run Terminal Server Client to connect, I get this error:
|
|     szego.infocentricity.com unable to resolve host
|
| That is the name of the remote machine I work on via VPN.  I have made no
| changes at all to the scripts and procedures I use to VPN.
|
| Any ideas?

Well, I can't get szego.infocentricity.com to resolve, either.

        $ dig szego.infocentricity.com

        ; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> szego.infocentricity.com
        ;[...]

        ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
        infocentricity.com.     1h57m27s IN SOA  ns1.infocentricity.com. hostmaster.infocentricity.com. (
                                                200711160       ; serial
                                                3H              ; refresh
                                                1H              ; retry
                                                5D              ; expiry
                                                2H )            ; minimum

        ;; [...]
        $ _

Since that authoritative response is coming from infocentricity.com's
nameserver, it appears that the hostname is wrong, or that someone on their end
screwed up, or the hostname isn't available on an external nameserver.

This leads me to think that szego is available only on an internal nameserver
available to you once the VPN connection is running.

Are you sure VPNC is running?

                                                        ---Ken