[NBLUG/talk] overriding networkmanager in ubuntu

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Wed Jul 16 07:23:16 PDT 2008

On my new Ubuntu install I was about to add "order hosts,bind" to the
top of my /etc/resolv.conf file, but there's a note in there telling me
it was "created by NetworkManager, do not edit" and no hint about what
file I should edit to have my additions included.

In the past I would just ignore it and edit it anyway, but I figured
maybe times had changed and systems were smarter or better. So I then
opened up the Knetworkmanager and looked at the settings. There's no
place to check to make it check the hosts file, and if I add anything
besides an ip address to nameservers, it won't let me (hey I had to
try).

I also can't find any documentation for networkmanager(other than one
page of manpage fluff) or knetworkmanager(not even fluff).

I realize I should just go ahead and manually edit the files, but it
will break the system and surely the people who made networkmanager
aren't complete fools, there must be a way to add "order hosts,bind"
without breaking things.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Bob