[NBLUG/talk] 802.11 USB adapters

Robert Brown brown at sonic.net
Sun Jun 1 10:28:46 PDT 2008

Cameron Tully-Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking to connect an older (USB 1.1, Athlon-based) PC to my home
> WLAN via a USB wireless adapter.  Any recommendations for an adapter
> that is currently for sale/commonplace (and, of course, cheap) and
> works well with SuSE, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. (and ideally also with
> Windows in case it's needed)?
>
> I'd ideally like it to support at least 802.11g (the current network
> is 802.11g, so it would need to work well on an 802.11g network).
I just bought one of these of the shelf USB Wireless Stick
<http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8454638&productCategoryId=abcat0503007&type=product&tab=1&id=1184369369644#productdetail>
at best buy.  It worked out of the box on my Fedora 8 install, and has
the bonus of a removable antennae so I built a home made antenna to go
with it. <www.seattlewireless.net/CookieCantenna>