[NBLUG/talk] Fedora Install help

Walter Coole wcoole at bcoole.com
Mon Jun 2 16:20:44 PDT 2008

Please ask more questions, stupid or not: the process of answering them
might lead to a decrease in stupidity (particularly mine).

The Fedora 8 disk is labelled Fedora 8 x86_64.  It has 4630 items,
totaling 3.6 GB.  It's an iso9660 filesystem.

I downloaded it from the torrent with uTorrent and wrote it onto TDK DVD-R
media with Nero 7 Essentials on a LiteOn USB DVD drive.  It's 3.6 GB long
(3,876,407296). FWIW, the Fedora 7 version (which gives identical
symptoms) passes the FC6 mediacheck, running on the hardware I'm trying to
install to.  I'm thinking this makes a data transfer error unlikely.

The drive I'm installing from is a brand-new internal drive.  FC6 was
installed via the previous CDROM that it replaced.

I've omitted discussing the various other ways I've tried, mainly because
most of them were obviously mistakes, since corrected.