[NBLUG/talk] What's your preference?

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Fri Jun 6 14:46:51 PDT 2008

Edward:

As a Fedora user primarily, I should probably stay out of this - but
instead, I'll see if I can't answer first!

I think the fundamental difference between the various versions of
*buntu is simply whether it uses Gnome (Ubuntu) or KDE (Kubuntu) as the
desktop manager.  ...and don't forget XFCE (Xubuntu).

So the question really is "Which desktop manager do you prefer?",
because I believe that under the hood the *buntu's are the same.

It's a coke or pepsi kind of thing.  There may be an argument for Ubuntu
& Gnome, as that's the default that Canonical settled on when designing
the distro.

For the record I like Gnome because I think it looks nicer.  It was also
the default desktop back in the Redhat 7.3 days, and I'm used to it.  I
see a lot of KDE at work (it's what I install on everybody else's
computer - because that's what they were using when I got here.  I don't
want to train people to use multiple desktop managers.  I would lose my
mind.).  KDE is great, too.

I'd say:  If you aren't decided yet, try them both and see if you prefer
one.  You need to use them to know for sure.

-dave.