[NBLUG/talk] Disabling the window manager in KDE?

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 20:35:52 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Phillip Fynan <pfynan at gmail.com> wrote:
> How are you starting KDE, and how did you disable the stuff you didn't want?
> The window manager is started by the shell script "startkde", but there are
> multiple ways to disable it.

The Windows PC is using Hummingbird Exceed as a an X11 server; I think
it's using the window manager provided by Windows.  The $DISPLAY
variable on the Linux server is initialized to the hostname of my
Windows machine at startup.  To start KDE, I opened an SSH session
with PuTTY with the Linux server, and typed in "startkde" at the
command line.

I was able to use the KDE Control Center to disable the KDE desktop
and screensaver, and to reposition the panel so it didn't overlap with
the Windows taskbar.  However, I couldn't find any way to change or
disable the window manager, and a quick look through the files in my
~/.kde folder didn't turn up any leads for changing or disabling the
window manager.

--
Lincoln Peters
<anfrind at gmail.com>