[NBLUG/talk] Sebastopol - Free Wi Fi grid mesh network?

Conrad OHO conradoho at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 20:41:36 PDT 2008

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I at NBLUG can comment on the
workability of using a variation of this type of Wi-Fi grid mesh
network for Sebastopol? Seems like the wireless field strength
sufficient to cover the city would be dramatically reduced using this
strategy, as compared to the Sonic.net proposal. AFAIK this would be
essentially similar to the technology that the OLPC XO project is using
for their local grid networking. Comments anyone?
Conrad OHO

------------------------

 http://www.open-mesh.com/

Plug & play Open-Source Mesh:

Ideal for school/office campuses, hotels, apartments and towns: Just
plug one of our tiny routers into a DSL or other internet connection
and spread additional units around the locations where you want
internet access. There is nothing you have to configure - just plug
them in.

Easy to grow: Adding additional routers extends the range and since any
router can be plugged into the internet, you can add bandwidth where
and when you need it.

Complete control over your networks: Customize the SSID, splash Page
(via our WYSIWYG/HTML editor), redirect URL and control how much
bandwidth your users get - all from a free centralized web-based
dashboard.

Monitor your network's health: See how the network is performing, how
many people are using it and how much bandwidth they are consuming.

It's two wireless networks in one: A second encrypted network is
available for your private or business use.

Completely open-source: You can extend or modify the router's
functionality. Never be at the mercy of what one company decides is
right for you.

Ad free: We will never push ads into your networks. You decide what, if
any, content you want to display.