[NBLUG/talk] wierd dash character

gandalf at sonic.net gandalf at sonic.net
Thu May 22 18:51:58 PDT 2008

I have a weird dash character that is causing problems on web pages. It's showing up as a diamond with a question mark in browsers. In a GUI text editor it shows up as a dash. In vi and less it shows up as <97>. In cat and more it does not show at all. I can't seem to grep for it as I can't seem to figure out what it is. I guess I could write perl code to bring it up with the text around it in a reg exp and then see what the ascii value is or something. I'm not sure how I ended up with these. I'm suspicious that is' the long dash from MS-Word or something.

I'm almost certain these were not visible before we upgraded our server. Perhaps the old apache had a built in conversion for them.

"There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive." - Orochimaru (Naruto)