[NBLUG/talk] Fedora Install help

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Sat May 24 22:06:43 PDT 2008

I have to agree with Dave on this one.  Backup the data and start fresh, if
you can do it on FC you can do it on CentOS.. which is a hell of alot more
stable.  Just because the HowTo was for FC doesn't make it impossible on
CentOS.

Fedora has been a nightmare to upgrade on my Thinkpad T60p for the last few
releases.  In fact I just upgraded my Thinkpad today from FC6 to FC9 and it
was a bitch, with a capital B.  I couldn't even get FC7 or FC8 installers to
run on this sucker when they came out.  I lost faith after the FC3 release of
Fedora.

If you want to take a peek next time you are waiting on your failed install
hit the CTRL ALT F4 and CTRL ALT F3, cycle through some of those virtual
terms and see what's going on, I get tired after 2 minutes... 16 hours?  You
are patient.

If you are thinking of running Xen I would probably point you to CentOS.  I
use it for my production virtualization environment and it is rock solid.

If you want to bleed now and continue to bleed for the foreseable future keep
using Fedora.  I like to bleed a little now and again but I have lost alot of
blood over the years and frankly I get a little tired of it now.

As Dave said you are installing this on a x86_64 hardware right?

--
Mark Street, D.C., RHCE
CTO Alliance Medical Center