[NBLUG/talk] [SoCoSA/discuss] wierd dash character

gandalf at sonic.net gandalf at sonic.net
Wed May 28 17:45:20 PDT 2008

Well Eric was the most right out of three right answers. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I've been gone all weekend and didn't have a chance to try stuff out. Fanime Anime Convention Rocks! Anyway, the pages were all being served UTF-8 and I checked the conf and low and behold there is a section for it. It seems that if you set a default it OVERRIDES what the individual web pages specify in META tags. It had UTF-8 as the default. I commented it out, reloaded and viola, everything seems to be working fine. Long dashes look like long dashes. Funny quotes look like funny quotes. This was a colo server at sonic running the current version of CENT-OS.

# Specify a default charset for all content served; this enables
# interpretation of all content as UTF-8 by default.  To use the
# default browser choice (ISO-8859-1), or to allow the META tags
# in HTML content to override this choice, comment out this
# directive:
#
#AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

"There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive." - Orochimaru (Naruto)

 On Thu 22/05/08  7:08 PM , Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org sent: