[NBLUG/talk] Unbreaking ubuntu using dpkg?

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Sun Nov 16 22:25:09 PST 2008

Ubuntu ships with a crippled version of Imagemagick, so I built it from
source and installed it. Unfortunately the configure script or something
isn't very good with paths and I'm left with no functioning Imagemagick
at all (convert: error while loading shared libraries:
libMagickCore.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory)

At this point I'd just like to overwrite it all with the default
crippled version and forget the evening was wasted so stupidly. I am
reminded how linux used to be just like this all the time. How times
have changed. It's been at least a year since I've had something like
this happen.

But I guess I need to throw a dpkg or apt-get spell I have not done in a
long time.

Any hints how I can force a reinstall?

Thanks,

Bob