[NBLUG/talk] SSHD on a different port

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Thu Sep 11 20:17:44 PDT 2008

I'm no expert so I figured I'd run this by the list for a smell test.

I have a machine at home that I log into remotely. I have opened up a
port in my cheezy Netgear router.

In order to add an obscurity layer I use a random port way up high, and
have allowed it on the computer by adding an iptables rule to forward
that port to port 22. Basically I am creating a duplicate port, if I'm
at home I can access it through either port.

That works great and I have intention to change it.

But I also have another machine out in the real world that isn't
protected by a firewall and I just hate looking at all those login attempts.

So I find that if I change "Port 22" to something different in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config (this is a machine running Ubuntu server 8.04) then
it seems to do what I want. I can log in at that port number but not on
port 22. The port I've chosen is way up high, above 16000, and not used
by any other service.

Am I missing anything? Are there some services that depend on sshd
running on port 22 that are going to bite me in the butt later on?

Thanks.

Cheerful regards,

Bob