[NBLUG/talk] BSD devil rapes linux penguin

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 12:48:50 PDT 2008

BSD predates Linux by a relatively wide margin. However, at about the
same time that Linux was becoming useful in production, BSD got hit by
a lawsuit from AT&T claiming that BSD contained Unix code owned by
AT&T. A lot of gunshy users switched to Linux while the lawsuit was
still going. By the time AT&T lost the suit (or it was settled, I
forget the details) Linux had pulled ahead of BSD in many ways.
Naturally, a few people still have bad feelings about this.

In addition, there are quite a few people that switched to BSD because
they "didn't like the Linux community". I can't think of a good way to
summarize their arguments here without risking hurting someone's
feelings, so I won't.

Finally, there's Theo de Raadt. :-) He founded NetBSD, then ticked off
so many people in his own project that they kicked him out, and he
went off to found OpenBSD. Let's just say that he's brilliant, but
really freaking hard to work with.

--
William Tracy
afishionado at gmail.com -- wtracy at calpoly.edu

"We need a special holiday to honor the countless kind souls with
unsecured networks named 'linksys'."
 -- Randall Munroe