[NBLUG/talk] sound problem ubuntu 8.10

cecrops at sandwich.net cecrops at sandwich.net
Fri Apr 3 16:31:02 PDT 2009

>>> Subject: [NBLUG/talk] sound problem ubuntu 8.10
> <snip>
>> What distro are you running?
>
> Ubuntu 8.10 ;)

Oh, wow. That teaches me to post when I'm tired.

Recent Ubuntu replaced esd with pulseaudio so that is what the original
poster will want to make sure is running. In checking the logs, look for
errors around anything with "pulse" in its name or starting with "pa".
Since pulseaudio handles older sound systems as plugins, both pulse and
the older sound system might need to be running for an app's sound to work
and the older sound systems will need to be configured for pulse, which
should be done by the distro. I've never used pulse so anyone feel free to
correct me on this.

This page should help:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio#Troubleshooting