[NBLUG/talk] ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Fri Apr 24 16:52:58 PDT 2009

Maybe a little off-topic, but I installed both Kubuntu 9.04 and Ubuntu
9.04 on VirtualBox and Kubuntu is really a disappointment.

My desktop machine at home is running Kubuntu 7.04 and I was really
looking forward to updating it.

But no way am I putting Kubuntu 9.04 on it as things stand.

I'm used to KDE being slower than Gnome, but it runs as slowly as if
it's on a live CD. I'm running this on a fast machine and I installed
the VirtualBox extensions and turned on all the accelerations.

The new replacements for the old KDE apps are missing functionality.

Are the KDE developers actually testing the stuff they write? On
realistic hardware?

I guess I'll follow Linus and relearn using Gnome :(

Best regards,

Bob