[NBLUG/talk] Cloud Engine Pogoplug

Jim Oser oserj at oserconsulting.com
Thu Aug 6 08:13:34 PDT 2009

Here's an interesting device. Attach a USB hard drive to this $99 part
and you have a network drive that is accessible over a LAN or WAN.

There is an open source project, that is using this as a $99 Linux
computer.

Some Mac users are using it to store their iTunes files.

http://www.pogoplug.com/opensource/

http://www.pogoplug.com/

http://www.pogoplug.com/dev/

http://www.pogoplug.com/dev/linux.html

> Linux Developers
> Important note: The Pogoplug Developer section is intended to be a
> rich and growing environment. We're still working to add more
> services into the platform and document more features of the core
> system. If you'd like to contribute to the discussions about our Web
> Services API or the underlying Linux system, click here.
> The Pogoplug is a general purpose Linux computer running an embedded
> ARM compatible processor. As such, many of the same features you can
> realize on a desktop or server Intel machine can be run equally well
> on the Pogoplug.
> SSH Access
> Pogoplugs ship with SSH servers already running on them. As such,
> you can SSH into the Pogoplug from any SSH compliant client
> software. The user credentials of the default shipping Pogoplugs are
> currently

I haven't seen any mention of this product in this forum. Is anyone
using this?

The product has had many write-ups. http://www.pogoplug.com/news/press.html

Maybe it's time to replace your OLPC with a new toy.

Does anyone know what ports need to be available for this device to
work. I am guessing that it needs http and https but technical
information on this product seems sparse. The website says that it
will work with "most routers".  I am wondering if double NAT is a
problem.

JIm

Jim Oser
Oser Computer Solutions