[NBLUG/talk] Anyone having trouble with mplayer lately?

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 04:44:45 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 12:39:17PM -0400, Jack Smith wrote:
> >    It's started locking up on me while playing an anime.  Anyone having
> this
> >    trouble?
>
> I've had probs recently where it'll start playing, and then stop
> immediately.
> (As though it's paused.)
>
> If I hit space a few times, or left/right to skip around, it usually
> picks up, but often not for long.
>

> Possibly related, I have various other apps hang and freeze on exit,
> Firefox close (but not actually quit, so when I go to open a new window
> it tells me "firefox is still running, but not responding", and I have to
> open up a terminal and issue a "killall firefox"), usually after playing
> a Flash video (e.g., YouTube).
>
> I'm thinking PulseAudio or someone in there is breaking things pretty
> badly. >:^(
>
> -bill!

Yup, exactly my symptoms, and my log shows lots of PulseAudio activity at
the same time and complaints about a possible driver bug.

Aug  7 19:10:34 natsumi pulseaudio[2850]: alsa-util.c: snd_pcm_avail()
returned a value that is exceptionally large: 18446744073709539136 bytes
(384307168137 ms).
Aug  7 19:10:34 natsumi pulseaudio[2850]: alsa-util.c: Most likely this is a
bug in the ALSA driver 'snd_intel8x0'. Please report this issue to the ALSA
developers.

pulseaudio[2850]: alsa-sink.c: ALSA woke us up to write new data to the
device, but there was actually nothing to write!
Aug  7 21:04:43 natsumi pulseaudio[2850]: alsa-sink.c: Most likely this is a
bug in the ALSA driver 'snd_intel8x0'. Please report this issue to the ALSA
developers.
Aug  7 21:04:43 natsumi pulseaudio[2850]: alsa-sink.c: We were woken up with
POLLOUT set -- however a subsequent snd_pcm_avail() returned 0 or another
value < min_avail.

Guess I have to research how to talk to the ALSA developers.

--
Jack Smith

English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.