[NBLUG/talk] 64-bit Linux on the desktop?

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 10:37:41 PST 2009

I just set up a 64-bit install of Ubuntu Studio, alongside a 64-bit
install of Windows Seven.

AFAIK (I suppose I should check) the distros generally still ship a
32-bit version of Firefox to be compatible with 32-bit plugins.

Now, if you have any close-sourced device drivers that are 32-bit
only, that could be a problem. [That seems much more likely to be a
problem under Windows, though. Later this week I get to see if my
mom's gadgets (printer, scanner, webcam) will work with 64-bit
Seven--AFAIK none of them work with Linux. Yay!]

--
William Tracy
Work: wtracy at cisco.com
Play: afishionado at gmail.com