[NBLUG/talk] Uses for GPGPU?

Scott Doty scott at corp.sonic.net
Wed Jan 14 17:47:53 PST 2009

Steve Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Aaron Grattafiori
> <aaron at digitalinfinity.net <mailto:aaron at digitalinfinity.net>> wrote:
>
>     Yep. Cracking Encryption and finding MD5 collisions :)
>
>     http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081013-company-puts-nvida-gpus-to-work-cracking-wireless-security.html
>     http://www.darknet.org.uk/2007/11/graphics-cards-the-next-big-thing-for-password-cracking/
>     http://bvernoux.free.fr/md5/index.php
>     http://somken.com/images/md5_crack1billion.jpg <- GPU is _MUCH_
>     faster.
>
>     I don't know if its "popular" yet but.. it sure is cool and I hope for
>     more open source tools for utilizing your GPU's vector tweaked mhz.
>
>     -Aaron
>
>     ps. Awesome work Jake (and team) on the SSL certs w/ MD5
>

> I wonder if a port of seti at home would be good for this.
I posed this question to an irc buddy up in Toronto who has done work
with cog. sci., and he
pointed me to a Google tech talk given by one of his professors at the
U. of Toronto...

   http://tinyurl.com/hinton

"The Next Generation of Neural Networks"

The document classification experiments are pretty amazing...maybe these
types of neural nets would work well for spam classification?
And could learning be speeded-up (and more RBM layers added) with the
use of CUDA?

( I asked said irc buddy, who says "Bayes is good enough".  But: I wonder? )

 -Scott
p.s. Distributed Password Recovery on the CUDA zone:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home.html#state=detailsOpen;aid=450f1e45-cf76-43ee-8b6f-fa2d8af8202c