[NBLUG/talk] Uses for GPGPU?

Aaron Grattafiori aaron at digitalinfinity.net
Thu Jan 15 12:16:59 PST 2009

On 17:47 Wed 14 Jan     , Scott Doty wrote:
> Steve Johnson wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Aaron Grattafiori <
>     aaron at digitalinfinity.net> wrote:
>
>         Yep. Cracking Encryption and finding MD5 collisions :)
>
>         http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/
>         20081013-company-puts-nvida-gpus-to-work-cracking-wireless-security.html
>         http://www.darknet.org.uk/2007/11/
>         graphics-cards-the-next-big-thing-for-password-cracking/
>         http://bvernoux.free.fr/md5/index.php
>         http://somken.com/images/md5_crack1billion.jpg <- GPU is _MUCH_ faster.
>
>         I don't know if its "popular" yet but.. it sure is cool and I hope for
>         more open source tools for utilizing your GPU's vector tweaked mhz.
>
>         -Aaron
>
>         ps. Awesome work Jake (and team) on the SSL certs w/ MD5
>

>     I wonder if a port of seti at home would be good for this.
>
> I posed this question to an irc buddy up in Toronto who has done work with cog.
> sci., and he
> pointed me to a Google tech talk given by one of his professors at the U. of
> Toronto...
>
>    http://tinyurl.com/hinton
>
> "The Next Generation of Neural Networks"
>
> The document classification experiments are pretty amazing...maybe these types
> of neural nets would work well for spam classification?
> And could learning be speeded-up (and more RBM layers added) with the use of
> CUDA?
>
> ( I asked said irc buddy, who says "Bayes is good enough".  But: I wonder? )

CUDA seems really cool and a good place where Linux and OSS can really
accel. I can see something in the future like...

"<insert distro> has detected you have an Nvidia 12345 GTS card, would
you like to enable CUDA CPU offloading (y/n)?"

For other python lovers.. I'm giggy to find a use for this:
http://mathema.tician.de/software/pycuda

-Aaron