[NBLUG/talk] vim / term colors

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Thu Jan 29 20:04:42 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 07:31:29PM -0800, Rob Orsini wrote:
> So, I've had this problem for a while. It bothers me and every once in a
> while I'll get motivated to figure it out, and I fail.
>
> Check out the differences between these two vim windows:
>
>     http://orsini.us/vim-colors.png
>
> The greener one in the back is and Ubuntu box and the front one is RHEL. I
> have the same ~/.vimrc for both and I've swapped the /etc/vim with no
> change.
>
> Where is the damn file that's making these so different? Is it rolled into
> the Vim binary?

It's not in the binary.  I generally use a color scheme in my ~/vim/colors
rather than a system wide scheme.  Likewise, I'll sometimes use my own
filetype plugins.  My .vim/ and .vimrc are in subversion, so I take them
with me whenever I set up a new environment.

So that's how I tackle it :)

If you want to know for sure which files are being read do something like:
strace vim somefile.py 2>strace.out

then grep strace.out for ^open

-t