[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu upgrade question

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Thu Jun 4 11:23:54 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 10:03:44AM -0700, Emanuel R wrote:
> Hi all,
> Just an question about an upgrade if I may.
> I am currently using Ubuntu 7.10 and would like to upgrade to a more
> recent version, definitely LTS this time.
> It is suggested to do all the updates before a version upgrade. However,
> I apparently missed the deadline for the 7.10 repository support and now
> I am not able to download the latest software updates for 7.10.
>
> Since I haven't been able to find other repositories for that version, I
> am wondering how critical it is to install all the updates first before
> upgrading?
>
> I welcome any comments and suggestions. I am fairly new to Linux and
> don't really want to switch back to Windows full time.
>
> Thank you.
> Emanuel

If you want to go to 9.04 I'd recommend doing incremental upgrades to the
versions in between. Canonical does tests for upgrades for each release (ie
8.10->9.04), and between LTS releases (ie. 8.04->10.04 [when it comes
out]), but not necessarily for every release in between so you may or may
not run into problems trying to go from 7.10 directly to 9.04. If possible
the best route would be to do a reinstall after backing up critical files.
Barring that I'd say you should go 7.10->8.04->8.10->9.04.  Like I said, it
might work to go straight from 7.10->9.04 but you might also run into
problems.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President