[NBLUG/talk] Commodore nostalgia

Steve Johnson fratm at adnd.com
Wed May 13 11:41:15 PDT 2009

I started out with a Tandy TRS80 CoCo the old silver case one,  my mum
bought it for me for xmas, and paid the radioshack guy a little extra to
solder in more memory and took it from 4K to 14K  :)  I loved that machine..
It is the machine that introduced me to Zork :)

Eventually I got a C64 and I learned to program on that, first basic, and
then assembly.  I wrote a couple programs that had been published in RUN
magazine, and worked on several projects that eventually got released into
shareware..

I was known locally for my not so legal activities ;)  but I was not an uber
hacker, I did hang out with a few (RT3!) and we did lots of run and
interesting things..  That all ended when I got paranoid because my buddy at
the time got busted for hacking a bank.. yikes!!  Find out your friend is
being held by the FBI is a path straightener :)  So I stuck to cracking
software protect.. mainly for fun..

Eventually I got into the IBM PC world, and pretty much stayed there until
last year.. When I bought my first mac.. (Hey, its BSD now!!)  but since
about 1994 on I have run linux as my primary workstation, and have worked as
a sysadmin in the linux world for just as long.

Amazing what a 4K COCO lead to in my life :)  Such an influence..  I wish I
still had it, just so I could put it on a pedestal and offer it windows CD's
as sacrafice ;)

Oh the days of 40 columns, 16 colors.. How I miss them.. And raster chasing
to get neat video effects.. oh boy...

-Steve

(Some of you may know me from the old days...I wont reveal my old bbs handle
here. ;) )