[NBLUG/talk] Ob-X WAS: Re: FYI... "IBM and Canonical Launch Linux- and Cloud-based Desktop Software in the U.S."

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Oct 26 14:00:18 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:57:29AM -0700, Scrappy Laptop wrote:
> Any ideas if obquote/ob-hack/ob-xyz goes back any further?  Anyone
> have other items of interest or memories around this meme?

I've been on Usenet since 1992 or so, but only really saw "ob-xyz" on
mailing lists, in recent years.  I'm not sure where I got the idea,
but I assumed it meant "obligatory [reference to] xyz".

In fact, the other day I was setting my Facebook status, and my toddler
happened to be doing something cute at the same time.  Since I'm often
(perhaps annoyingly?) talking about him via FB status updates, I decided
to finish the update with: "ObWilliam: He's pretending to be a crab."

(Mostly as a way to make fun of myself.  I've done "ObTuxPaint" too,
since I can't seem to stop talking about that 'child' of mine, either ;) )

-bill!