[NBLUG/talk] Sound problem with Skype on Ubuntu 9.04

Christopher Wagner waggie at waggie.net
Wed Sep 9 09:56:58 PDT 2009

Skype has had consistent problems with PulseAudio. Try switching to the
ALSA audio driver (Skype Button, Options, Sound Devices, then change the
Sound In/Out to one of the other options other than pulse).

Also, there's a certain intel audio chipset that has known issues. Does
the microphone work in other applications? It's important to determine
whether it's a Skype issue or a driver issue. I encountered a problem
where sound output was fine, but the capture was messed up until I
changed a few module options. Try googling "sony vaio intel chipset not
working ubuntu" or some variation of that (if it's actually an Intel
audio chipset.

Regarding the web cam, there's a software called EasyCam (IIRC) that
might get her camera working, but no guarantees there. The camera on my
Dell XPS worked flawlessly out of the box so I haven't had to fiddle
around with that in a bit.

Hope that helps..

- Chris