[NBLUG/talk] grub conflicts with installed packages?

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Thu Apr 22 11:13:43 PDT 2010

I'm trying to replace a failed drive in a software RAID-1 setup and
although I have the new drive partitioned and synced, the system won't
boot without forcing it off the remaining "still good but will probably
die soon" drive because the Master Boot Record on the new drive doesn't
have GRUB on it.

No problem except the computer(running Ubuntu) doesn't have the "grub"
command, and if I try to put it in, it says the package grub conflicts
and it wants to remove grub-pc. The computer has all sorts of other
grub-like scripts and commands(grub-setup), but I think they all do more
than what I need and I am scared to find out.

I don't want to break the machine any more than it is already and since
I am basically running on a degraded RAID array I don't want to mess
around anymore than I have to.

Any suggestions? I am pretty sure that the old grub command is now
obsolete so what can I do to replace this spell:

grub --no-floppy --no-curses
device(hd0)/dev/hda
root(hd0,0)
setup(hd0)
EOF

this is all probably part of some other command now, but I don't see any
web pages that refer to putting grub on the MBR that say anything
different.

I booted off a live cd and it has no grub either, just grub-setup and
all the scripts.

Thanks.

Bob

                          unladen european swallow