[NBLUG/talk] USB not a module any more?

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Wed Mar 17 16:56:48 PDT 2010

I have an old computer from 1999 with a 533 Celeron and i810 chipset
that I was going to use for some home automation but I'm having trouble
with USB on it. It works fine unless you plug or unplug a USB device,
then it freezes completely. If the USB device was plugged in before
boot, it works fine until you unplug it. This computer does not have USB
2.0 and I have tried all the combinations of USB settings it has in the
BIOS.

I have Xubuntu 9.10 installed. I used to have Redhat 6.2 on it and don't
remember it having a problem then.

My first thought was to check if the EHCI module was loaded, since I
think that's only for USB 2.0 and maybe it was interfering somehow with
the obsolete hardware.

But I don't see any USB modules loaded at all, even the slow ones.

Is USB no longer a module? Does this mean I have to make a kernel
without USB 2.0 just to test it? Or maybe there's a GRUB switch I can
pass it?

I guess I haven't been paying enough attention since the 2.4 kernel days
:)

Cheerful regards,

Bob

--