[NBLUG/talk] Streaming Web Sites under Linux

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Thu Mar 18 12:10:54 PDT 2010

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:37:11 -0700, gandalf at sonic.net said:
> What about netflix? They seem to have a pretty nasty implementation. It
> would probably be a deal breaker for us. I just did a little poking
> around and it doesn't look like there's any real way to do unless you run
> it under a virtual machine.

I have a computer connected to the TV that I use for all the purposes
you describe. Netflix was the only website that required Windows,
because of Silverlight. I was able to use it in a Windows XP virtual
machine but the framerate wasn't good enough. So I made the machine dual
boot and when I wanted to watch Netflix I would boot into Windows.

But I notice that even regular websites that use Flash are smoother and
have better framerate when using Windows. I am running 1920x1080
resolution so this might be an extreme case, and the machine is only a
single core Athlon64(with 32 bit OS installs). I don't know if it's
Flash or if it's the video drivers. I have an Nvidia 8600GT card using
the proprietary drivers.

Cheerful regards,

Bob