[NBLUG/talk] Thinkpad T60p / Ubuntu 8.10 crash

emanuel at sonic.net emanuel at sonic.net
Tue Mar 23 10:41:23 PDT 2010

 This  morning my laptop froze. (IBM Thinkpad T60p, Ubuntu 8.10)
 DOn't have a live CD at hand since did all upgrades online.

 I powered down and restarted and got the following message.
 Relatively new Linux user and not sure which is best way to proceed.
 Have a lot of information I cannot loose.
 Any suggestions? Proceed with manual fsck?
 Do you know a link to specific command instructions online?
 Any comments suggestions appreciated.
 Thank you much in advance.
 Emanuel

 Message at boot time:
 ------------------------------
 checking drive /dev/sda4: 8% (stage 1/5, 35/282) over and over
 /dev/sda4: Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found
 /dev/sda4: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
 (i.e., without -a or -p options)

 fsck died with exit status 4
 Checking drive /dev/sda4: 9% (stage 1/5, 37/282) [fail]

 *An automatic filesystem check (fsck) of the root filesystem failed.
 A manual fsck must be performed, then the system restarted.
 The fsck should be performed in maintenance mode with the
 root filesystem mounted in read-only mode.
 The root filesystem is currently mounted in read-only mode.
 A maintenance shell will now be started.
 After performing system maintenance press CONTROL-D
 to terminate the maintenance shell and restart the system.
 give root password:
 bash: no job control in this shell