[NBLUG/talk] Linux on USB

glenn at spontaneousdancing.net glenn at spontaneousdancing.net
Mon Dec 26 11:33:49 PST 2011

Dearest NBLUGers,

I come to you with a question.

I need to have a lightweight, x86-compatible (i586 specifically) GNU/Linux
distribution. I can't use VGA (so X is useless), and require serial
communication.

I also need to add some additional software packages and need to build my
own kernel.

The trick is that I need the Linux distro to boot and operate like a
LiveUSB, in so far as that I can tell my BIOS to boot from USB and
eventually land in a root shell.

My current solution is insufficient.

I looked into modifying an Ubuntu LiveCD and then putting that onto a USB
stick. See this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallCDCustomization
. This is, however, very tedious.

Can any other Linux hackers help me out?

Thanks in advance!